Jobs at LASM
Below is a listing of job opportunities currently available at LASM. Please contact LASM about these open positions only.
Building Supervisor (Operations Department)
The successful Building Supervisor advances the museum’s mission by: ensuring that the building systems are operating at an optimal level; maintaining a clean, orderly, and safe environment and facility; directing and supervising the custodial staff; overseeing contractors for building and equipment maintenance; and by coordinating with the museum’s operational staff for the use of LASM’s facilities for programs and events.
Education, Experience, and Aptitude:
The successful candidate must possess experience managing and maintaining facilities and supervising personnel.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience supervising personnel
• Superior organizational and time management skills
• Effective team leader and team member
• Capable of of manual labor with a working knowledge of building systems and maintenance procedures
• Ability to develop and implement complex plans and projects
• Resourceful self starter
• Ability manage multiple priorities and projects
Send a letter intorducing yourself and resume with references to Sam Losavio, Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Building Supervisor." References will not be contacted without your permission.
Producer and Animator (Planetarium Department)
The Planetarium Producer and Animator is responsible for all visual content used in the planetarium. Responsibilities include production of original animation and fulldome video, as well as other planetarium domes at LASM. The Planetarium Producer and Animator works with the educators to compliment their programs with creative and dynamic visuals, and is also responsible for programming real-time astronomy shows, prepares purchased content to play back, and maintains the rendering farm and its software.
Education & Experience:
The successful candidate must possess the following minimum requirements: Degree in animation or video editing (or equivalent experience). Background in astronomy or other science desirable. Prior planetarium production experience desirable but not essential.
• Background in 3DS Max (other 3D animation software is acceptable)
• Adobe CS (After Effects, Media Encoder, Photoshop)
• Experience rendering using VRay
• Strong troubleshooting and multitasking skills are essential for this position.
• Candidate must be willing to learn new software to accomplish tasks if needed.
• Knowledge of astronomy and/or other science is desired.
Send a letter introducing yourself and resume with references to Jon Elvert, Planetarium Director, at email@example.com with the subject line “Planetarium Producer/Animator.” References will not be contacted without your permission.
Museum Guide (rolling applications accepted)
Museum guides play an important role at LASM and contribute to the successful operation of the museum by:
* presenting museum programs to school groups and the general public
* working in coordination with the museum’s operations staff to manage school group visits
* monitoring art exhibitions, interactive exhibits and public spaces to insure that they are safe and secure
* providing visitors with accurate information on LASM’s operations, exhibits and programs
* maintaining an orderly and functional work space
Applicants may apply in person at the visitor services center, Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or may email their résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.