Work With Us
Jobs at Louisiana Art & Science Museum
Below is a listing of job opportunities currently available at the Art & Science Museum. Please contact the museum about these open positions only.
Applying: Please send a letter of interest, resume, and references firstname.lastname@example.org. References will only be contacted with your permission.
Curator of the Visitor Experience
The Curator of the Visitor Experience is responsible for experiences that connect the art and science content of the Museum’s exhibitions, collections and public programming. This is done physically, socially and intellectually, making the programs accessible and relevant for a wide range of public audiences, with an emphasis on the intergenerational family visitor. This position will coordinate existing learning strategies and implement new forms of engagement, particularly for open-ended, hands-on activities in the Museum’s family galleries and implementation and interpretation of collection displays. This position is a liaison between the Museum’s public and school offerings and works closely with the Director of Interpretation & Museum Curator in fulfilling curatorial duties.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, with a master’s degree preferred.
Skills: Superior creative thinking abilities; excellent organization and planning skills; superior oral and written communications and research skills; good familiarity with basic art history concepts; interest in science; comfort in interacting with the public.
Prior experience desired: Work in a museum or gallery preferred; work with objects, including handling, displaying and writing interpretation; making and/or teaching in the arts or crafts.
Position open until filled.
Fulltime position with benefits. Some weekend work will be necessary.
Interested applicants should apply with a resume, a letter of interest that sufficiently demonstrates writing skills and development of thought, and 3 to 5 professional references (references will not be contacted without your permission). For information about the organization, you are encouraged to visit the Museum’s website, www.lasm.org, and visit the Art & Science Museum before applying.
Applications may be submitted via email to: email@example.com.
Audience Engagement & Public Relations Manager
Areas of Responsibility, Authority, and Expertise
The Audience Engagement & Public Relations Manager works in concert with the communications team to create, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive marketing and communications plan for the museum. Part of this plan includes working directly with the Editor & Communications Coordinator to oversee and assist in the creation of digital content for the museum. She/he oversees all social media, brand management, market research, and is an active member of the museum’s strategic planning team. She/he will also be called upon to work during special events, give presentations to the community, and speak on behalf of the museum to the media as needed.
Roles & Duties
- Work with staff to develop an institutional view of audience engagement by creating vehicles for marketing the museum
- Work with the Director of Development & Communications to create and implement a comprehensive and strategic communications plan for the museum that engages our audiences, supports programming, and drives attendance
- Develop strategies for engaging audiences through social media and manage the museum’s social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Manage the museum’s brand and visual identity; serve as the coordination contact with the graphic designers
- Along with the Editor & Communications Coordinator, manage and update the Museum’s website and digital content
- Create tools, implement methods, and analyze results that assist the Museum in understanding audiences
- Build, develop, and maintain media relationships in order to engage audiences
- Work with the Editor & Communications Coordinator to oversee the implementation of program specific marketing plans
Minimum of 2 years marketing/communications experience
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Submit a cover letter and resumé along with a marketing/communications writing sample (press release preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may apply in person at the visitor services center, Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or may email their resume to email@example.com.
Museum Guide (rolling applications accepted)
Museum guides play an important role at Louisiana Art & Science Museum and contribute to the successful operation of the museum by:
- presenting museum programs to school groups and the general public
- working in coordination with the museum’s operations staff to manage school group visits
- monitoring art exhibitions, interactive exhibits and public spaces to insure that they are safe and secure
- providing visitors with accurate information on the museum's operations, exhibits and programs
- maintaining an orderly and functional work space